Letting some of it trickle out while trying to soak it all in

Monday, September 3, 2012

The Equinox Marathon

A marathon is not a good event for the procrastinator. Yet, here I am, two weeks away from race day, four runs into my training schedule. I guess I have been doing a lot of standing at the lab lately, and that uses your legs and core muscles right? At least my shoes are broken in from the last (and first) marathon I ran, the KSL News in Salt Lake six years ago. For that one, my brothers Nate and Joe told me the day I got home from my two-year mission, that they had signed me up for a marathon in three weeks. The course was all down hill and I stil couldn't walk down stairs for a week afterward. The Equinox in Fairbanks is billed as the second hardest in the U.S. and looks like this:

I was going to go for a long run tonight but it took us longer to dig the potatoes, then we had band practice, and then we had to eat the potatoes over at the Gianni's. Now it's sprinkling and I really should watch War of the Worlds so I can take it back to Redbox tomorrow. Anyways I still have almost two weeks and I should be fine, I did watch quite a few of the running events in the Olympics.

5 comments:

  1. should be great fun about mile 10. and then coming down the hill, as you say, is great for the knees.

    good luck and have a good time testing that whippet body of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The profile looks a lot like the drawing from the Little Prince: http://www.peakoil.net/LittlePrince.html

      I'll just imagine I'm running over an elephant swallowed by a boa constrictor.

      Delete
  2. That marathon looks super easy. I could do it with my eyes closed and I am 5 months pregnant. Hey, by the way, I am 5 months pregnant.

    Good luck with the run!

    ReplyDelete