Letting some of it trickle out while trying to soak it all in

Monday, August 27, 2012

Be Bigfoot at your own risk

One summer night in 2003 Brittany and I were looking for a watch I'd lost next to Diversion Dam up Provo Canyon. A Bigfoot pounced out of the darkness at me and I bolted a quarter mile in full scream before realizing that Bigfoot doesn't wear white sneakers (or thinking of Brittany). As I walked back to collect the broken pieces of my dignity, the Bigfoot took off its head and I I recognized the guy who cleaned the popcorn machine at the Wynnsong theater. He was wearing a ghillie suit, just like this Bigfoot for whom it didn't go so well: Man killed while trying to create Bigfoot sighting.

On a different subject, my mother in law just turned 70 and Rachel's whole family was up here for the celebration.
Here are some more pics on Facebook.

6 comments:

  1. Big Foot wandered through my camp last weekend. About forty 20-somethings were camped in Spanish Fork Canyon. Big Foot walked past my tarp where 5 of us were whispering scary stories. His Nikes gave him away. Unfortunately, he did step on Josh's glasses as he wandered through.
    We asked around at breakfast, and we were the only ones to have sighted him. Many thought we were being silly until I showed them a ghilie suit online. I still don't know if it was someone from our own camp or one of the passengers of a mysterious black F150 that passed through our camp early in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With those big feet it's hard to tiptoe through camp without crushing something.

      Delete
  2. Rachel looks so adorable in this picture, despite (or because of?) her tongue sticking out, and notwithstanding the misleading BIGFOOT description above her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that night. You had spent much of the evening trying to scare me with tales of the Provo Beast.

    Everyone I ever tell the story to insists that you arranged the bigfoot sighting. I don't believe it though. I heard your piercing scream as you frantically ran past me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I set that up, I sure didn't know about it. I had never been so sure my life was about to end as when that giant hairy silhouette darkened the sky in front of us. Something inside said, "Checkmate old buddy. You knew I was here because of the stories I told tonight and you somehow managed to make me lose my watch so we would come back after everyone else was gone and then you could get me." As my body fled my mind was already resigned that I would never get to have sex or learn a second language. I was surprised that The Beast, who had previously been a peaceful but ominous observer of happenings in the canyon, had broken his truce. But then of course, we learned that it wasn't The Beast.

      Delete
  4. My friend Jordan sent me this. We're not the only ones to have run into the beast up Provo Canyon.

    http://www.ksl.com/?sid=22896529&nid=711&title=bigfoot-in-utah-county-national-experts-weigh-in-on-viral-video&s_cid=featured-4

    ReplyDelete