Letting some of it trickle out while trying to soak it all in

Sunday, April 24, 2022

The life and legacy of Kay Bradford

When we moved to Orem, Utah in late 2017, we had no idea that a national treasure lived just a few doors down. Our first week in the Orem 3rd ward was pretty typical of a first week anywhere…until we walked into Sunday school. An elderly woman on the front row bedecked in at least 50 pounds of jewelry and shiny shoes leapt to her feet and proclaimed to the whole class, “You must be new in the ward! Tell me your names, and I’ll introduce you to everyone!”

Kay Bradford was born in Huntington Utah in December 1923, making her a sprightly 93 when we first crossed paths. During our brief years together, Kay made an indelible mark on our hearts and lives. She was irrepressibly positive, intensely hopeful, eternally effervescent, and deliberately joyful. Though Kay was undeniably showy (her favorite colors were glitter and sparkle after all!), these virtues were not a show. She embodied a love of life and exuded a Christlike love for all of God’s children that disarmed all suspicion and division.

Kay enjoying a sunny Sunday afternoon with Ingrid and Caspian.

I was privileged to serve Kay and her children Dorothy and Robert first as a home teacher and then as a ministering brother. The minor acts of service my companions and I were able to render were completely eclipsed by the wealth of wisdom and number of candies we received in return. Kay’s kindness and generosity were such that you couldn’t spend five minutes with her without a rejuvenated view on life and a baggie of caramels, chocolates, popcorn, or starbursts. She would often have an arsenal of treats prepared for our children and the other families we had lined up after visiting her.

During the pandemic, Kay and Dorothy invited us to prepare and share the sacrament each week in their home. The visits were touchstones in my week. The time was sacred because of the ordinance and the privilege of sharing a few moments in conversation and prayer together. She would often have a quote or insight from one of the many books she read, and she always sent us away with an admonition to express gratitude and see the good in the world around us. 

Though she was no stranger to loss and hardship, she told us to wake up every morning looking forward to something fabulous. "Something wonderful is going to happen today." She would often ask, "Aren't we so blessed?" while holding your hand and beaming into your face.

Two weeks ago, Kay passed away with her family by her side. She leaves behind almost a hundred children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, and great, great grandchildren. She leaves behind thousands of friends and acquaintances who are better because of her example.

We couldn’t attend her funeral, and I have been trying to find a way to process the grief and gratitude I feel at her passing. The video below is my small memento of a woman who changed my life. In October of 2018, I brought our kids to her place to ask her some questions. She agreed to let me record the interview. I was going to edit it down to a 5-minute video, but I couldn’t bring myself to cut any of her words or movements. Here is all 33 minutes of the uncut interview. Let Kay take you on a tour of her home and share some insights about how to stay happy in a challenging world.

I love you Kay, Dorothy, and Robert. I’m so grateful for what you taught me and my family, and I pray for all of you in this time of transition and change.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much Ben. I was just about to go to the post office when I got the notice on my phone that you had an interview with Kay. She was my dear friend . I sat right down and listened to all 33 minutes of it. Thank you for posting it. Love ❤️ Charlotte Hall

    ReplyDelete