Letting some of it trickle out while trying to soak it all in

Thursday, January 26, 2012

You and me . . . and Leslie?

I've always been embarrassed when I hear that song "Groovin' on a Sunday afternoon." It comes on in totally respectable establishments (Fred Meyer, Jamba Juice, Barnes & Noble) and every time I look around wondering "Has anyone actually listened to the words?" I mean, I've got nothing against white guys singing Afro-Cuban soul, it's just that last line, "Life would be ecstasy, you and me and Leslie!" Turns out it actually says, "Life would be ecstasy, you and me endlessly." And to think, I didn't have to spend my whole childhood in shame.

2 comments:

  1. reminds me of the fact that for decades i thought the beatles' song went: return, Lucinde.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what song is that Dad? There's a good Wikipedia page on misheard song lyrics (called mondegreens: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondegreen

    ReplyDelete